Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lemon Garlic Chicken Breasts

I don't usually make recipes by the Barefoot Contessa because they are typically super complicated and scarey for a weeknight cook like me. But I saw her on Food Network the other day and I just had to try this recipe-it turned out great!! She kept saying that is simple enough for a family meal or fancy enough for company-it's so true. The prep took about 10 minutes and then I was left with a full glass of wine to hang out with my husband while the chicken cooked. What's not to love? I served it with mashed potatoes and broccoli-absolutely perfect. I'm giving you the recipe for 2, but just go here to get the original recipe for 4.

Lemon Garlic Chicken Breasts




Just a few ingredients!

Skin-on Chicken Breasts (they're sold at Publix with a rib bone, just ask the meat guy to take it off for you if you don't want to cut it off at home)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup White Wine
4-5 Garlic Cloves (I think they should definitely be fresh, not jarred)
1 tsp. Lemon Zest (this is one whole lemon)
1 Lemon Cut into 8 Wedges
1/2 tsp Thyme, minced (I'm sure dried works fine, I happened to have fresh)
1 tsp. Oregano
Kosher Salt
Pepper


1. Preheat oven to 400F. First off, you're going to mince the garlic. I hate chopping garlic because it makes my fingers smell awful, so let's get this over with fast. To peel it, place your big chef's knife on top of the clove, smack it, and the skin should peel right off. Do this for all the cloves first. Then cut of the root ends and chop them all up at once using a rocking motion with your knife. This will minimize touching the garlic, hooray. Put that into a prep bowl (check these out, I adore them and use them daily).

Not me but I wanted to show the technique

2. Zest your entire lemon into a prep bowl and then cut it into 8 long wedges. Mince your fresh thyme and put in with the zest; all this chopping can be done on one cutting board, don't even bother wiping it off.

3. In a small saucepan, heat your olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and let it cook for about 1 minute-you don't want it to burn. Then take it off the heat and add the white wine, lemon zest, thyme, and salt. Then squeeze two of your lemon wedges right into the broth. If a seed pops out, just fish it out with a spoon.



4. Leave the saucepan off the hot burner and pat dry your chicken breasts. Pour the broth into a 8 x 8 baking dish and place the breasts skin-side up directly on the sauce. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.



5. Tuck your remaining 6 lemon wedges all around the breasts. Cook for 30-40 minutes (broil it for a couple minutes if the tops aren't quite brown enough for you) and then set out, covered with foil, for 10 minutes to let the juices rest. You're going to want to spoon lots and lots of the sauce onto your chicken. I even brought the pan to the table and we added more during the meal because it is so good with the potatoes and the broccoli. Serve and enjoy!!

You can actually eat the lemon whole!! Tart and tangy but good!

No comments:

Post a Comment