Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chicken Thighs with Tomatoes and White Beans

I love easy recipes that are delicious...I'm sure I'm not alone on that no-brainer statement! This recipe, Chicken Thighs with Tomatoes and White Beans, which I adapted from Real Simple, takes very little time, is very inexpensive, and looks like a million bucks. I actually love chopping veggies up so that's the only drawback to this recipe-no knife needed! Which I realize is likely a plus for every other busy cook in the world :o) Also, I love this recipe because I just kinda throw it all in there without measuring til it looks right-no fear!! Here's what you'll need to get started...

                 My first food picture. Please trust me that it is harder than it looks and therefore just think "Aww, bless her heart" while looking at the quality of these photos instead of "God love her!" which I happen to know is worse. Sneaky Southern insults disguised as compassion.                      The crusty bread is an essential accompaniment and the wine, alas, must be sacrificed to the dish this time.


Here's the ingredient list:

Bone-in, Skin-on Chicken Thighs (I use 4)
Olive Oil
White Wine (I know it's tough to share, but just splash a little from the bottle you're enjoying, there'll still be plenty for you)
1 Can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Pint Grape Tomatoes
Dried (or fresh) Oregano
Dried (or fresh) Thyme
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Minced Garlic
Kosher Salt
Cracked Pepper

Now here's what you do (oooh I can almost taste it!)

1. Preheat oven to 425. In a baking dish (I use an 8 x8 so just adjust based on how much you're making), combine about 2 Tblsp olive oil with the beans and tomatoes. Add oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, white wine, salt and pepper and mix well. I truly do not know how much I use. Just go with it! But not like, 3 Tblsp. Be reasonable.



2. Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels (this is pretty gross to salmonellaphobes but super important, I'll tell you why in one of my "tasty tips" posts soon). No photo for this one-I tried but it is really hard to make raw chicken and paper towels look appetizing.

3. Place chicken on top of tomato and bean mixture Drizzle chicken with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub it in.


4. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes. More toward the 45 minute mark, likely. You want it nice and golden brown. The chicken will be super moist so don't worry too much about overcooking it for 5 minutes.



5. Plate, top with fresh oregano leaves if you want to get fancy, and enjoy!! Make sure to pour lots of the yummy juices from the pan onto your plate.






*One detail to mention: Those tomatoes are like evil little napalm bombs filled with molten lava. Be warned.
I had to google "napalm bomb" for this. Which means I am now on the FBI watch list. Thanks a lot Bin Laden.

2 comments: