Friday, July 15, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

This delicious and easy (I promise!) spaghetti sauce was introduced to me about a year ago by my best friend Sarah. The recipe has been in her family for years and I am honored that she is letting me post it here. Served over noodles alongside fresh baked garlic bread with a big ole glass of red wine, you will not be disappointed. And your husband will think you are a sauce-y goddess, which always makes a girl smile! Of course store bought sauce is still used in our house from time to time, on those really exhausted nights, but if you have a little time to spare, this sauce will blow Prego's socks off.

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


I am going to give you the original recipe; I always halve it though and have plenty for several Italian meals. Gather up these ingredients (side bar- getting everything you need before you start is very fancily termed "mise en place" in the cooking world; it truly makes the whole cooking experience much easier and therefore enjoyable!):

2-3 lbs Ground Beef
1 Onion
1 Green Pepper
2 (22 ounce) cans Tomato Sauce (I hear Muir Glen is spectacular, I am too cheap so Hunt's it is)
2-3 cans (14 ounce) Diced Italian Tomatoes
1 tsp. Worcestershire (so fun to say!)
6 Bay Leaves
1-2 Tblsp Kosher Salt (go easy at first, you can always add at the end)
1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2+ tsp Cayenne Pepper, to taste (a little goes a long way)
1/2 tsp Paprika (optional, but I always use it)
1 tsp. Garlic Powder (or fresh, bottled, or dehydrated, whichever you like and have on hand)
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, to taste (optional, if you want it even spicier)


1. Dice onion and green pepper to a pretty uniform size. If you have trouble chopping onions (oh the tears!), watch this tutorial.

You'll have more onion than green pepper. Which makes sense if you think about it because the green pepper is hollow. I just thought of that...I was wondering earlier why there was so much onion...!! Blonde moment #1 of the day .

2. In a large pot or dutch oven (mine is 5 1/2 qt and there is room left over with half the recipe), brown the meat along with the diced onions and peppers. Season with a little salt and pepper. Break up the meat as it cooks with a hard spatula (called a "turner" according to Kitchenaid) or blunt wooden spoon.



3. Drain the mixture. Depending on the percent fat of ground beef you use, you might be able to just tip the pot up, move the meat to one side with your spatula/turner/wooden spoon and let the fat pool at the bottom. Then you can use a couple paper towels to sop it up. I used 93/7 and I definitely needed to drain it in a colander.


4. Return it all to the pot, add the tomatoes, undrained, to the mixture. Add all seasonings, the bay leaves, and the Worcestershire. Stir it all up, cover, and let simmer on low for 2-3 hours. That's it!

No great reason for this shot. I just wanted to show off my beautiful dutch oven my momma gave me. I love, love, love it. And you need one at some point. But it's ridiculously priced so don't let your kids starve for it. 



6. Serve over spaghetti noodles, top with parmesan cheese and ENJOY! Don't forget your crusty garlic bread and red wine. Healthier people would probably start with a little salad, but oh well. I adore this easy and amazing sauce and I hope you will too!!








2 comments:

  1. Mmmm bring us some! Great job!!! Hope everyone enjoys it like we do! Ps: this recipe is not for peps who don't enjoy a little spice--warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Thanks for sharing and love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete